The first “project” on Master and Server is the installation of the WordPress.org blogging software in my account at devio.us.
So what is devio.us? It’s an OpenBSD server run by a group of sysadmins who offer free shell accounts and web-server space to interested users of this security-minded BSD project. For reasons to which I’m not privvy, devio.us is not currently offering new shell accounts.
I’ve done a lot of experimenting with my OpenBSD account at devio.us, on which I’ve run a whole bunch of services. I’ve had trouble with the Perl/CGI-based blogging systems — Ode and Blosxom — that I’ve tried but not so much trouble with PHP-based systems. Before now I’ve successfully run FlatPress, and today I was able to create a database (it was pretty much created for me by the system; that’s how things work in the one-database-per-account world of devio.us), then download, extract and install WordPress.
And yes, it did take about five minutes. My last WordPress.org install was a multisite system, and that takes longer, for sure (especially because multisite requires more configuration), but a single-site system goes together like butter, as they say.
I’m not sure how many people run WordPress on OpenBSD. For me anyway, it’s hard to get scripting of any kind running on OpenBSD’s chrooted Apache web server, and I thank the devio.us sysadmins for making that happen for me and the rest of the devio.us users: PHP runs great (though the lack of the php-zip or pecl-zip modules make it impossible to run OwnCloud on the system), and Perl/CGI does, too, though the latter is hampered by what I think are permission or file ownership issues that were beyond my capability to sort out.
However much PHP is derided as a poor choice for web applications (“it’s not as good as *fill in the blank*,” “it’s not secure”), more of the web uses it than not, it’s flexible, fast, you can embed it in HTML at will, and it usually just works.
I pretty much followed the WordPress.org installation directions and had a working system in the promised five minutes.
And here I am with an OpenBSD/Apache/MySQL-running WordPress.org system.
.htaccess problem solved: In the days since this original post was written, I did about 15 five-minute installs on this server, getting 403 errors in the WordPress Dashboard and on the live site after making changes to the permalinks settings.
After repeatedly clearing the database and reinstalling WordPress, I learned that what was locking me out was a bad .htaccess file. Luckily it’s very fixable.